Work and Play In The 19th Century




Hard At Work In Thomaston

Sail Making

Employees of Dunn & Elliot Sail Loft: left to right - Bill Hodgkins, Ralph Grafton, Orrin Perry, A. Morse, Levi Bucklin, Dick Robinson, Irving Harrington, George Hanley, Pat Sanfey, Weston Rines, George Elliot, Capt. Jesse Wilson. 1895

Click on photograph to enlarge
Dunn & Elliot Sail Loft: Left to right - George Hanley, Orrin Perry, Henry Mathews, Arn Morse, Pat Sanfey, R. E. Dunn, Irving Harrington, William Hodgkins, Levi Bucklin, George Elliot and T. . Dunn. 1873

Click on photograph to enlarge

Lime Burning

Rock team in quarry (c. 1870)

Click on photograph to enlarge

Rock team near mill.

Click on photograph to enlarge

Team and wood for the lime kilns (c. 1892)


Click on photograph to enlarge

Kilns and sheds of J. A. Creighton & Co. (1900)
Note how small the full grown horse appears standing on top of the platform of the kiln. 


Click on photograph to enlarge

Ship Building

Rib construction of the Schooner REPUBLIC. 801 tons, three masts, built by Dunn & Elliot, 1900. M. D. Saunders, Captain.

Click on photograph to enlarge
Bark CAROLINE O. SMALL on the stocks. Built in 1870, 733 tons.

Click on photograph to enlarge

Enjoying Leisure Time 

Yacht racing on the Georges River in 1897.

Click on photograph to enlarge


Going for an enjoyable ride, perhaps on a Sunday afternoon. The surrey is passing in front of the A. P. Gould house. (c. 1870)


Click on photograph to enlarge


Driving past the intersection of  Main Street and  Gilchrist Street, looking down Gilchrist, c. 1890.


Click on photograph to enlarge

Flint & Starr's Thomaston Market at the corner of Knox and Main Streets in 1872.

Click on photograph to enlarge



Smelting on the Oyster River in 1896.


Click on photograph to enlarge

A decorated surrey on Muster Day in 1897.

Click on photograph to enlarge

Sheep grazing on a hillside. Thomaston had several common grazing grounds where residents would take their animals each day and return them to the family barn at night. Because the grazing grounds had no fences, most houses had fences along the streets to keep the animals from getting into flower and vegetable gardens.

Click on photograph to enlarge

Living Whist Group, August 13, 1892. The group gave benefit performances for the Ladies' Library, Thomaston,  and the Free Public Library, Rockland. The dances performed demonstrated the tricks that were played in the game of Whist. The dancers, left to right: Jack of Hearts, Mr. Weeks; Queen of Diamonds, Miss Bennett; Three of Diamonds, Mr. Paladino; Queen of Spades, Mrs. Curtis; Queen of Hearts, Mrs. Berry; King of Hearts, Mr. Copeland; King of Spades, Mr. JOnes; King of Diamonds, Mr. Miller; Queen of Clubs, Miss Rankin; King of Clubs, Mr. Simonton; Jack of Clubs, Mr. Graves; Jack of Spades, Mr. Crockett.

Click on photograph to enlarge

Ice fishing was, and still is, a popular winder sport in this area. These boys are fishing on the Oyster River in Thomaston.

Click on photograph to enlarge

Children at play in the yard of the Green Street Grammar School built in 1872.  The school stood at the southeast corner of Green and Hyler Streets.

Click on photograph to enlarge

[Home]




Copyright © 2006 Catnip Graphics
This web site is provided courtesy of Midcoast Internet Solutions



Web site designed by Catnip Graphics. Please send comments to katsmeow@roadrunner.comt Last  updated June 2011